A backup status for the minor child
Background
Ms. L was opening a new company in the U.S. on an L-1A. Her husband, Mr. L, and their minor son applied to change from F-1 and B-2 respectively to L-2 dependent status so the family could stay in the U.S. together.
Challenges
- The two dependents had different status backgrounds and different paths: Mr. L held F-1 student status, and their son, under 14, held B-2 status, so each one's eligibility for L-2 had to be argued on its own basis.
- The child's proof of relationship was at first not acceptable: the original birth certificate and medical birth certificate did not meet requirements and had to be notarized and translated again.
- The dependents' timeline was tied to Ms. L's L-1A new office petition. Because her petition went through a long review with substantive scrutiny (including an RFE), both dependents' I-539 applications were held up too, leaving the family waiting on status for a long time.
- A denial would have upended the whole family's plans: if the L-2 applications were denied, both dependents would have had to leave, Ms. L's life and plans in the U.S. would have been cut short, and the whole family might have had to go back together.
Strategy
- When we filed Ms. L's L-1A petition, we filed the spouse's and child's L-2 applications concurrently to keep their wait as short as possible.
- We guided and helped the family redo the child's birth notarization and related documents so the proof of relationship met USCIS standards.
- Because the child had entered on B-2 and that status was about to expire, we also filed a B-2 extension for him as a second layer of protection, so he would have no gap in status whatever happened with the L-2.
- We tracked the progress of Ms. L's L-1A new office case to keep the dependents' materials consistent with the main case.
- The day the child's L-2 was approved, we immediately withdrew the backup B-2 extension.
Case Timeline
| Date | Milestone |
|---|---|
| May 15, 2026 | Both applications filed together with Ms. L's L-1A new office petition |
| September 24, 2026 | Minor son's L-2 approved |
| September 24, 2026 | Backup B-2 extension withdrawn the same day |
| September 25, 2026 | Mr. L (spouse) L-2 approved |
Closing Note
A denial could have derailed the family's life and business plans in the U.S. So when we filed the main case, we laid down a B-2 extension as a safety net for the child and withdrew it only on the day the L-2 was settled. From the birth notarization setback to the double layer of status protection, Ms. L's family was reunited, which shows again that every step of a dependent's status deserves the same care.
Outcome
The spouse's and minor child's L-2 status were both approved, and the family is together in the U.S.
